Thread: Computer only seems to want to run windows 8

Beans

Computer only seems to want to run windows 8

The title says it all. Using wubi, I've gotten as far as being able to choose what operating system I want to use. However, when I choose ubuntu, it comes up with an error after a moment and says that it failed to open windows.

I've attempted this 2 times, before I had to recover my computer, and after I recovered my computer. I did the exact same thing. I tried again using an older computer, and it worked just fine, I was able to use ubuntu.

I'm on an hp 2000 notebook pc laptop. If anyone can help, that would be awsome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Computer only seems to want to run windows 8

AS far as I know, Wubi doesn't work in Win8 PCs if they are using UEFI boot -- which is the default with new Ein8 PCs.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahsu View Post
    The title says it all. Using wubi, I've gotten as far as being able to choose what operating system I want to use. However, when I choose ubuntu, it comes up with an error after a moment and says that it failed to open windows.

I've attempted this 2 times, before I had to recover my computer, and after I recovered my computer. I did the exact same thing. I tried again using an older computer, and it worked just fine, I was able to use ubuntu.

I'm on an hp 2000 notebook pc laptop. If anyone can help, that would be awsome.
    It's not the computer's fault, it is Microsoft and the pc-makers, that make it difficult. Fortunately there are gurus at the Ubuntu Forums that can help you. I'm not one of them yet

Beans

Yep, thats why im here

Beans
    Hidden!

Just to get some inspiration, look at this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2108450

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You should be able to boot into bios and disable secure boot setting. I say "should" because I have not been lucky enough to have had to buy a new Win8 machine lately, personal or work related.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uclugLee View Post
    You should be able to boot into bios and disable secure boot setting. I say "should" because I have not been lucky enough to have had to buy a new Win8 machine lately, personal or work related.
    how is having to buy a new system lucky?

On my newest system i have a uefi option in my bios, it shipped with win7 and it was disabled by default, my system acts like any older system as far as bios and efi stuff is concerned, i assume if i enabled it i will not be able to boot since i am using a MBR on my hdd and not some efi stuff that requires a 1MB partition for booting
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    how is having to buy a new system lucky?
    Sorry, was being facetious.