Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Same problem with compiz here. We're getting close, though- no more software rendering and glxgears now gives around 400fps.

I've tried different depths of 16 (no change) and 32 (won't start), downgrading _all_ the different mesa packages, UseFBDev in xorg.conf... I think it is something to do with the coexistence of X and the fbdev console, and may have to do with this xorg error message in the log:

(EE) PSB(0): has_fbdev is true

Jabronioh, yes, you will need to install those 3 files in your other Ubuntu install, and also copy over the "DRI" section of xorg.conf so that you have the right permissions in /dev/dri. And add 'WHITELIST="psb"' to /etc/xdg/compiz/compiz-manager, downgrade mesa packages, and something else that we haven't figured out yet!

Beans

Does anyone know approximately when Jaunty will be released?

Beans

Around the end of April, according to wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule.

Beans

@jabronioh - you do have 3D! Real, live, hardware-accelerated 3D -
    Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    That's why we were mooching files from you - yours works. (And thanks again!)

I don't agree with kylecronan - I think that your current install is as close as anyone to having Compiz working (which, I assume, is your goal.) I don't think you need to change anything - except maybe the update to xserver-xorg-video-psb that I referred to in post #94. (But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

@kylecronan, marduk - I get the same Compiz error too. (I'm sorry if I implied above that Compiz was working for me - it's not.) From what I can tell, the driver isn't providing the ARGB visuals that Compiz wants. It could simply be that the driver doesn't support them. However, the has_fbdev error is something I hadn't noticed - I'll poke at the source code and see if I can't figure out what it means.

Beans

@brteag, thanks for clarifying about compiz on your hardy install. I don't know if this is of interest really, but I compiled the version of glxgears from mesa-utils that uses FBConfig, and it works ok. Shows 8 bits per channel RGB and alpha for several available configs (so compiz wants something very particular here?):

Code:
    ~/mesa-7.2/progs/xdemos$ ./glxgears_fbconfig 
    GLX 1.3 is not supported.
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig is supported.

The following fbconfigs meet the requirements.  The first one will be used.

0x23        TrueColor     32   0   y   .  y    .    8  8  8  8  24  8 0  0  0  0     0     0       .       .
    0x2b        DirectColor   32   0   y   .  y    .    8  8  8  8  24  8 0  0  0  0     0     0       .       .
    0x27        TrueColor     32   0   y   .  y    .    8  8  8  8  24  8  16 16 16 16     0     0       .       .
    0x2f        DirectColor   32   0   y   .  y    .    8  8  8  8  24  8  16 16 16 16     0     0       .       .
    1866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 373.200 FPS
    2220 frames in 5.0 seconds = 444.000 FPS
    @jabronioh, I agree with brteag that you should leave your Dell install of hardy in a nice pristine condition. I was just letting you know what will bring you up to date on your intrepid partition. So are visual effects enabled on the Dell partition, btw?

edit: one other thing, could you attach the output of 'xdpyinfo -queryExtensions', thanks!
    Last edited by kylecronan; January 8th, 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Beans

I just caught a fatal error in X. Here it is in case it affects anyone else. If Hardy doesn't do this when similarly configured I may go back! Or perhaps the earlier version of the psb driver that's in Hardy doesn't have this? Or maybe I've managed to screw up my own system in a special way- entirely possible! FYI:

Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
    Release Date: 5 September 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9)
    Current Operating System: Linux amelia 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686
    Build Date: 15 April 2008  05:26:17PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jan  7 21:16:32 2009
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (EE) PSB(0): First SDVO output reported failure to sync or input is not trainded!!!
    Xpsb - 2.2.0.32L.0020
    (EE) PSB(0): has_fbdev is true
    libhal.c 1397 : wrong reply from hald.  Expecting an array.
    libhal.c 1397 : wrong reply from hald.  Expecting an array.
    (EE) PSB(0): First SDVO output reported failure to sync or input is not trainded!!!
    tossed event which came in late
    mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
    tossed event which came in late
    mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
    [repeats many times...]

Fatal server error:
    Driver failed PrepareAccess on a pinned pixmap

(EE) Failed locking memory manager: "Device or resource busy".

Beans

Same error here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kylecronan View Post
    I just caught a fatal error in X.
    Hmmm. I've been "stress-testing" mine all afternoon (videos playing, glxgears or rss-glx screensavers running, web browser refreshing things) - and things seem rock-solid. I would be really wary of running psb_dri.so and Xpsb.so on an X server they weren't compiled for, and with a patched, forward-ported DRM kernel module - but YMMV.

Also, I have bad news about Compiz. When it finds the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GLX extension (which the Poulsbo DRI driver supports), it expects to be able to bind pixmaps to MIP-mapped textures -- which the DRI driver doesn't support. (See the compiz source's screen.c, lines 2044-2066 and 2179-2189).

I'm not by any means an OpenGL person, so I'm hacking around with things I don't understand. The best possible scenario would be to find a way to disable the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension server-wide - but I don't know if you can just turn those things off. Alternately, I might be able to hack compiz to ignore that extension's presence. I've played with that a bit, but havn't yet had any luck.

At this point, I don't expect to have any more time to poke at this until this weekend (at the earliest.) I'll keep tabs on this thread, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I also had several lockups now, so i think i will remove the 3D drivers

@brteag00: Is it illegal to send me a copy of the Dell/Ubuntu image from the U.S.? I did not know that, so sorry for that.

@all: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...sbo-packaging/ perhaps this is interesting for us
    Last edited by marduk667; January 8th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Beans

Somehow, I whacked both my installs yesterday and rebuilt the 8.10 partition today. I will try and restore the 8.04.1 tomorrow.

The Hardy factory install will not start X. It complains about drm and the psb.ko module. If I get the recovery dvd onto a bootable stick, I can restore it rather quickly.....

I have no idea how it happened, unless it was when I uploaded some of the files...

Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast