Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else rolled back to 9.04?

Beans

Has anyone else rolled back to 9.04?

I was dual booting 9.04 with Windows Vista on a new Sony Vaio NW130, and all was working well. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I did a clean install and wiped the boot into Ubuntu. So I decided to reinstall 9.10 instead of 9.04.

OK, 9.10 looks nice while loading and it loads a bit quicker. But I could not -- after maybe 10 tries -- manage to get a driver loaded for the ATI Radeon 4570. When I tried to get the laptop to go to sleep upon the lid being shut, Ubuntu dimmed out and froze upon lid being opened. That happened every time, so I had to stop the laptop from going to sleep. When I tried to install software with Synaptic, I hit roadblocks and errors.

So I went back to 9.04 and I reinstalled the ATI driver in about 10 minutes and I downloaded Firefox 3.5 and got that running (the biggest feature I wanted from 9.10.)

I was glad to get a taste of 9.10 and I will probably like it in six months when it settles down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Has anyone else rolled back to 9.04?

On nvidia here so no problems at all. On lappy it's Intel integrated, again no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had a problem installing 9.10 on a very old pc, but was a grub problem that didn't get solved, (after extensive troubleshooting) and so re-istalled 9.04 and is working fine now.

but I must add, I do have 9.10 installed on a little newer machine and it works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Certainly thinking about it! I did a clean install on i386 desktop and i386 laptop plus an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 on an AMD64 laptop and all had problems, particularly with slowed down internet - seems to be due to IPv6 & DNS (see bug #417757). Installing additional programs on the two clean installs kept bringing up msttcorefont problems (see bug #431217). Unfortunately, I had already done upgrade by this time which had latter problem during upgrade process.

Since the AMD64 is going to be used by my daughter for her college work I am trying to decide now whether to cut my losses and do a clean install of 9.04 or stick with 9.10 when I pass it over to her next week.

What is strange to me (as a newcomer to these forums and bug reporting... I was an ex-Windows, use Ubuntu out of the box person from 8.04 on) is the mixed experience I have been seeing on the Forum survey on 9.10... a number of people have dropped back to 9.04 but others had no issues whatsoever... those that do have seen a variety of problems.

For the survey and comments see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924

Hope you get a better insight from that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried using 8.04 even because of all the "problems." But I ended up having more problems than I could shake a stick at.

So I went back to Karmic, as it was seemingly better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dual boot Jaunty and Karmic on my IBM T30 laptop. Still don't use Karmic much. I'm staying with Jaunty - and replacing karmic with the Lucid Lynx.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

I have had a completely trouble-free time with Karmic Koala and would not consider rolling back. I could be wrong but my general impression is that this is the case with most users? Which is not to belittle the problems you have been having .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I am thinking about it!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

very soon 9.04 rocks 9.10 is a new vista

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I had a great time with 8.10 (first linux distro)

Had an even better time with 9.04.

9.10 is the greatest so far.

I must be pretty lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast