Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Google to Offer Super-Fast Net Service (100 times the speed of broadband connections)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Google to Offer Super-Fast Net Service (100 times the speed of broadband connecti

The idea of Google's Net service is simple: to give Google much more power over users.

Hey! Google Chrome OS, Android, Google Apps, Google Code, and much more. Face it: Google is another Microsoft. The only difference is that Google uses ads instead of direct charges. It's still the same thing.

Beans

Re: Google to Offer Super-Fast Net Service (100 times the speed of broadband connecti

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
    It's still the same thing.
    Nope. If nothing else, Google produces much higher quality code....even though they still ignore this 64bit OS fad we are in.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
    The idea of Google's Net service is simple: to give Google much more power over users.
    More like take over the world. SERIOUSLY at this rate it is VERY possible that google WILL take over the world. I like google though so as long as google doesnt start a dictatorship of the whole world, then its all good.
    USE="gentoo" && emerge -avuDN world
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    知さん。

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Satoru-san View Post
    More like take over the world. SERIOUSLY at this rate it is VERY possible that google WILL take over the world. I like google though so as long as google doesnt start a dictatorship of the whole world, then its all good.
    You should step outside more. There's a real world out there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    You should step outside more. There's a real world out there.
    I know I was kidding about the dictatorship.

On a more serious note, Google might eventually have a monopoly over the internet, if that hasn't happened already.
    USE="gentoo" && emerge -avuDN world
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    知さん。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Nope. If nothing else, Google produces much higher quality code....even though they still ignore this 64bit OS fad we are in.
    The one thing I do like about Google is its use of FOSS in all its desktop apps. Its Web apps? Not so much, but any Google app or OS that functions on the computer itself you can certainly count on as FOSS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aklo View Post
    Is it even practical to have such a high download speed?

It it even possible to reach a download speed of 1gigabits?
    Can our computer(harddisk) process like 1gigbits of data per second?
    My hard disk transfer data as like 15MB / sec so with like 1gigabit (100+mb/s) i doubt so.

The only practical way are for companies with many computers i doubt homeusers will need that much.
    Unless the uplink is the same speed then you could run a home server.
    ! What type of disk is that?
    Disks capable of 0.5 Gb/sec are pretty common, and 1 Gb/sec ones are available.

So pure downloads to disk could make full use of that bandwidth, in theory, at the present, but considering the current small size of movies/games/music (small in the context of 1 GB/s downloads) I doubt that downloading data to disk is what all that bandwidth will most often be used for by most people.
    I think it'll be used more for realtime streaming of ever increasingly high quality video for use in peoples everyday lives, and uses, apps and hardware that have previously been impossible or impractical, or not yet dreamed of.

Until bandwidths reach levels that allow everyone in a household to suck data in at a rate as high as their bodies can generate for their brains and/or the highest rates that a human brain can process or until hardware stops us, bandwidth to our homes will just keep increasing.

1 Gb/s might be the final nail in the recording industy's coffin; sharing will increase to a level too difficult to monitor, let alone prevent.

AUSTRALIANS, be counted against planned censorship of our internet here!!
    #nocleanfeed #openinternet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hobo14 View Post
    Wha? First clarify your units. Are you speaking of Gigabits or Gigabytes? Secondly I don't see where you come from with your numbers

At best disk-to-buffer rates are usually 70Megabyte/second or so depending on file fragmentation and RPM...sure the bus can support 300Megabyte/second with Sata2 but the disk->buffer rate is the limiter in the real world not the bus. Of course there are SSDs, but those are still uncommon, and expensive.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lets see how much it will cost first. The prospects of actually using such speeds is far beyond what the average user will actually need. So first in line to adopt such a idea in the piratical sense would be the medical field or the federal/state/local authorities to enhanced video surveillance capabilities and broad and long range communication.

But the public has to back it. It has to be seen as doing us a favour I think every leap forward that we intend to make creates areas of inequality where some will be benefactors and others will be victims.

Lets try to look first and then jump together. (idealism)
    I reinforce the frail with lyrics that's real - Nas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Wha? First clarify your units. Are you speaking of Gigabits or Gigabytes? Secondly I don't see where you come from with your numbers

At best disk-to-buffer rates are usually 70Megabyte/second or so depending on file fragmentation and RPM...sure the bus can support 300Megabyte/second with Sata2 but the disk->buffer rate is the limiter in the real world not the bus. Of course there are SSDs, but those are still uncommon, and expensive.
    Gb = Gigabits
    GB = Gigabytes

70 MB/s = 560 Mb/sec = 0.5 Gb/s (approx)
    Last edited by hobo14; February 11th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.

AUSTRALIANS, be counted against planned censorship of our internet here!!
    #nocleanfeed #openinternet

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast