Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid laws in your area.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Stupid laws in your area.

In my city its illegal for a darker skinned man, to walk out at night. Its not enforced but it stands :/

Whats some of your cities/provs(states)/countries stupid laws.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Stupid laws in your area.

Just a couple from the UK.

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
    Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned.
    A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In most (all?) EU countries, it's illegal to smoke tobacco in all kinds of places. Pubs! It's illegal to smoke in pubs!

Absolutely ridiculous. I can pickle my liver in vodka but I can't smoke a ciggie. Crazy.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    In most (all?) EU countries, it's illegal to smoke tobacco in all kinds of places. Pubs! It's illegal to smoke in pubs!

Absolutely ridiculous. I can pickle my liver in vodka but I can't smoke a ciggie. Crazy.
    Second hand smoke is very bad for others. It can give other people cancer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I need to post about laws in my area too...... nah. Massachusetts is VERY liberal.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    EDIT: Oh yeah, I need to post about laws in my area too...... nah. Massachusetts is VERY liberal.
    http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-.../massachusetts

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Here's some Washington State laws:

A law to reduce crime states: “It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.

When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.

All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle. (this one was probably relevant over a 100 years ago. Not now.)

All lollipops are banned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Snowball fights have become illegal , no projectiles with in city limits and no beer in city parks . If you want to grill out with family or friends and have a few beers in the park , you must do it in the next town.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

According to this, it's all a conspiracy.

I grew up in Nanaimo BC, the main street in the city center is pretty crooked, if I remember correctly the longest straight section was a block and a half long. It's probably still illegal to drive that street in a car without a horse with a red flag leading the car by ten feet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    Second hand smoke is very bad for others. It can give other people cancer.
    I don't see how that's relevant. No one has to breathe near me.

Oh yeah, another stupid law: in the UK there's a 70MPH speed limit on motorways. Of course very few drivers actually take any notice of that, but the police enforce the limit very arbitrarily. One cop will ignore the fact people are speeding, another cop will pull them over and give them a ticket.

Another silly UK law: it's illegal to sell an air gun by mail order. "Face to face" sales only. And you're not allowed to sell airsoft weapons that are black in colour. They have to be bright green or something, supposedly so no one can use them to scare people. But how hard is it to paint an airsoft pistol black? Silly laws.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Oh yeah, another stupid law: in the UK there's a 70MPH speed limit on motorways. Of course very few drivers actually take any notice of that, but the police enforce the limit very arbitrarily. One cop will ignore the fact people are speeding, another cop will pull them over and give them a ticket.
    Speed limits have been pretty well proven to reduce injuries and deaths associated with motor vehicles. To me, a "stupid law" is something that is unenforcable or nonsensical, not something that you just happen to disagree with because you'd rather not comply with it personally.

And yes, enforcement is often up to the discretion of individual officers who may prioritize things differently. That doesn't make the law itself stupid.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast