Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Gwibber not working

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Gwibber not working

fix is badly needed for this.......its one of the main selling points which 10.04 was debuted with

yeh I know it isnt technicallly for sale, but it should work

there are 2 bugs here krishnandu.sakar reffered to the one Im experiencing. Neither empathy or qwibber auto starts and gwibber doesnt work at all. I can add twitter and flickr but neither shows up under qwibber and Fb as shown in the attached image in this thread cant be "add" to stream despite being "authorised"

any find a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since there seems to be two different issues with Gwibber, I'm going to post the solution i found by myself on one of the issues:
    Gwibber (and Ubuntu One) not starting, no service to restart.

The solution I found was so simple I was embarrassed.

I had disabled password request upon login to Ubuntu. Once I enabled the login prompt all was fine and working well again.
    I also have disabled login at user switch and screen saver resume, but those do not appear to affect the Gwibber service at all.

Maybe this simple solution could help someone else.

Beans

found this fix at https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gwibber/+bug/523964
    responce #30.

It states to
    start gnome-keyring-daemon from terminal and the start gwibber again
    it should work then
    I did this and I went from gwibber not working at all to fully functioning.

Although I havent restared yet, may have to do this each time untill a fix is found.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not sure if this is related, but it may be:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...96#post9359196

Beans

I finally found a solution for some of the problems. i wasn´t able to authorize facebook and twitter wasn´t working. After weeks of googling, reinstalling etc. I finally found a post that mentioned that it might be related to your dns-server. After changing the dns-server to a us-based ( I live in germany ) in my connection-settings ( I use ethernet with a manually applied ip ) I was able to recieve and send twitter-postings and complete the facebook authorisation, I´m able to post on facebook via gwibber, what still doesn´t work is that I´m unable to see any updates on my profile through gwibber. Hope this helps you at least a little

Beans
    Distro

Gwibber just plain sucks. Slow, bloated, and unresponsive at times. Pino is a much better choice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kindofabuzz View Post
    Gwibber just plain sucks. Slow, bloated, and unresponsive at times. Pino is a much better choice.
    I agree - the current implementation of Gwibber into Ubuntu is one of the biggest disasters I've ever seen on Linux. It simply does not work... what were they thinking to have it as an "in your face" default app?

As for Pino - do you have any plain english and simple steps to install?

So far I have added their repositories (looking at the steps from the pino page I found on google), and yet pino does not show up even after an apt refresh.

Then I added cmake...
    Then I added hg...

....all of this just for pino (I'm getting really annoyed now that just wanting a frigging facebook/twitter client is turning out to be such a long winded route for bloating my system)....

...and it still fails to build... can't find "Vala"?!?

Code:
    lancer@lancer-laptop:~/pino-twitter/build$ cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DUBUNTU_ICONS=OFF -DENABLE_DEBUG=OFF
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:70 (MESSAGE):
      Could NOT find Vala (missing: VALA_EXECUTABLE)
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      cmake/FindVala.cmake:55 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
      cmake/ValaVersion.cmake:31 (find_package)
      CMakeLists.txt:38 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
    I don't think Ubuntu is ready for Twitter / Facebook.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LancerNZ View Post
    I agree - the current implementation of Gwibber into Ubuntu is one of the biggest disasters I've ever seen on Linux. It simply does not work... what were they thinking to have it as an "in your face" default app?

As for Pino - do you have any plain english and simple steps to install?

So far I have added their repositories (looking at the steps from the pino page I found on google), and yet pino does not show up even after an apt refresh.

Then I added cmake...
    Then I added hg...

....all of this just for pino (I'm getting really annoyed now that just wanting a frigging facebook/twitter client is turning out to be such a long winded route for bloating my system)....

...and it still fails to build... can't find "Vala"?!?

Code:
    lancer@lancer-laptop:~/pino-twitter/build$ cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DUBUNTU_ICONS=OFF -DENABLE_DEBUG=OFF
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:70 (MESSAGE):
      Could NOT find Vala (missing: VALA_EXECUTABLE)
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      cmake/FindVala.cmake:55 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
      cmake/ValaVersion.cmake:31 (find_package)
      CMakeLists.txt:38 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
    I don't think Ubuntu is ready for Twitter / Facebook.
    easy
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:troorl/pino && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pino
    I really like Pino, but just found out about Turpial. Even better!! http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/t...es-to-ppa.html
    Last edited by kindofabuzz; June 5th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Beans

Thanks. I'd just managed to install manually though (I had overlooked a whole host of dependencies at the bottom of the pino page) as after updating my repos it seemed like the package pino still couldn't be found. Odd though - now it is... mush have got the update wrong or something, but it is working. Will look at the other one you mention as well.

Thanks.

P.S. Gwibber still sucks - I vote they get rid of it from Ubuntu.

Beans

Trupial looks good but it freezes when typing in the authentication code. I have to kill it as a process. Then it asks for an authentication all over again when I run it the next time. Can't get beyond that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast