Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update has destroyed KDE

Re: Update has destroyed KDE

I've been having the exact same problems. I tried an experiment where I created a new user, logged on as that user to see if I could find some difference between my existing settings and the new user's settings.

The new user worked fine (with the kwin starting normally). As soon as I enabled the desktop effects for the new user all the borderless window problems, single desktop problems, slow app start problems, etc. began again. So I went back to my old user account, disabled desktop effects, and it works perfectly fine now.

Of course, this isn't a solution because it means I do not have the nice KDE4 desktop effects that worked on the previous versions. It also doesn't solve the issue with the grey background at the KDM login screen. But it makes me think maybe Rexstuff's comment about the video drivers is heading in the right direction.

Ok, seems I was mistaken in my previous post and disabling desktop effects didn't make any difference. However, whether the effects are turned on or not, when I go to System Settings > Advanced > Session Manager and then change the On Login section to say "Start with an empty session" everything does work fine for me--even with desktop effects turned on. I guess this still isn't a fix because now it won't remember what I had going on in my previous session but at least I don't have run kwin --replace or the other fixes.

Beans

I just booted up about 3 minutes ago and everything worked... o_O I have no idea why. I am glad it works, but I do hate it when things fix themselves with no updates or anything. It makes me feel terribly odd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same problem after the upgrade... kdm has a very strange flickering gray background, kde4 loads without kwin so I need to run it using Alt+F2, and about boxes say that I still have kde 4.0.3... I hope they fix it soon

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lol, I switched back to KDE3 after my last post. Works fine for me, there was a KDE4 (or partial) upgrade of Kopete and a few other packs, and Qt today.
    However 1st login (after rm -rf ~./kde) worked fine, then I got one-desktop issues etc =/

Please post here when it works again LOL!
    I have a friend who uses Debian though, who's installed KDE 4.1 alpha, he says it's way more stable than 4.0 - and much better feature-wise etc.
    Is it possible to install 4.1 alpha in Kubuntu I ask?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Update has destroyed KDE

Quote Originally Posted by phyjcowl View Post
    Ok, seems I was mistaken in my previous post and disabling desktop effects didn't make any difference. However, whether the effects are turned on or not, when I go to System Settings > Advanced > Session Manager and then change the On Login section to say "Start with an empty session" everything does work fine for me--even with desktop effects turned on. I guess this still isn't a fix because now it won't remember what I had going on in my previous session but at least I don't have run kwin --replace or the other fixes.
    I can confirm that this works. KDE 4.04 now runs faster on my system than did 4.03.

* Swiveller *

Beans

I have the same issue.

For me kwin is inconsistent. Without making any changes at all and kwin will run about 50% of the time. People posting that they *fixed* the issue only to post again that it is not fixed appears to echo what I am seeing.

I just changed the session manager setting to start with a clean session. I have gone through 10 power off cold boots and kwin has come up every time. I am hesitant to declare it as fixed, but it is good so far.

Beans

Does anyone experience graphical corruption upon first drawing windows with the proprietary nvidia driver, or is it just me? Like, pop up the new kmenu first time after login.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    Does anyone experience graphical corruption upon first drawing windows with the proprietary nvidia driver, or is it just me? Like, pop up the new kmenu first time after login.
    This happens with the ATI proprietary drivers too. It appears to be a QT4 problem; may have been fixed in the new version which they used for KDE 4.1 (alpha).

* Swiveller *

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Swiveller View Post
    This happens with the ATI proprietary drivers too. It appears to be a QT4 problem; may have been fixed in the new version which they used for KDE 4.1 (alpha).

* Swiveller *
    I had this problem with 4.03 (that came with Hardy), and it's still there with the 4.1 Beta 1 packages for Kubuntu. I'm running the nvidia proprietary driver, so it sounds like it's not just an nvidia specific issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast