Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY ST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

using a samsung r60+ its got ATI Radeon chips in it - this should work cos ive got that wireless chip 100% - ive done it this way - all on a fresh laptop with fresh install - still no luck -- i can get ubuntu up and running - graphics are sweet as a nut, it recognises the wireless signal after i install madwifi - ive tried bothe versions - the 2537 and the 3366 anyways it still wont work even with synaptic disabling the jockey and whatnot - i get a signal - but cannot get an IP adress - it isnt the box cos that works with XP, Vista , and Linux on another Machine.

i reckon its the ATI proprietry driver - but ive tried it this way and it doesnt work either - something to do with the ATI chips proprietry driver locking stuff up?

i even installed madwifi in shell mode after logging in alt F2 after a fresh install - before going anywhere near the ATI propreietry stuff - getting it all done then istalling the ATI stuff - getting into X - same result - i get a signal but cannot get past "retreiving IP adress"

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: AR5007 Atheros Madwifi Hardy 8.04 32BIT I386 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP

Quote Originally Posted by beN..87 View Post
    using a samsung r60+ its got ATI Radeon chips in it - this should work cos ive got that wireless chip 100% - ive done it this way - all on a fresh laptop with fresh install - still no luck -- i can get ubuntu up and running - graphics are sweet as a nut, it recognises the wireless signal after i install madwifi - ive tried bothe versions - the 2537 and the 3366 anyways it still wont work even with synaptic disabling the jockey and whatnot - i get a signal - but cannot get an IP adress - it isnt the box cos that works with XP, Vista , and Linux on another Machine.

i reckon its the ATI proprietry driver - but ive tried it this way and it doesnt work either - something to do with the ATI chips proprietry driver locking stuff up?

i even installed madwifi in shell mode after logging in alt F2 after a fresh install - before going anywhere near the ATI propreietry stuff - getting it all done then istalling the ATI stuff - getting into X - same result - i get a signal but cannot get past "retreiving IP adress"

any ideas?
    Oh, and before anyone suggests it - no i cannot use envyNG to install the ATI stuff because i dont have an internet connection do i - i'm installing the driver right off of ATI's website - after installing madwifi first that is

come on ppl please please help! im absolutely stuck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

-= STEP 4 =- Removing Default Stuff
    Using synaptic package manager remove all instances of the following 2 exact names by searching by name only and pasting these names in the box ( To use synaptic click on top menu bar System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager )

linux-restricted-modules ( VIDEO & WIFI DRIVERS THAT ARE COPYRIGHTED - just don't remove linux-generic-kernel as that is vital)
    Jockey ( the restricted driver manager )

just search for these two names and check box to remove them then apply.
    I don't have linux-restricted-modules, but linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24.16-generic, linux-restricted-modules-commong & linux-restricted-modules-generic and selecting any of these for removal also selects linux-generic for removal, which (as you said) shouldn't be removed.

I am using kubuntu-kde4 8.04, any ideas?

Beans

To beN..87 I am not sure why it isn't working for you but I will try to help you but need some more info. For starters you say you used two versions of the madwifi drivers, did you perhaps use the 2537 and then just use the 3366 also without first removing the 2537 driver as it would definitely cause you a problem and also I am not aware that any 2537 version works for any Ubuntu AR5007EG senario since under gutsy I was using 2756 and now must use 3366 but it could be that it was the right one before 2756 came along but not sure. If you did not remove the 2537 then I would recommend you do that now. Second are you sure you followed my guide fully and completely including the modules file that you had to modify, please just do a double check for me before you respond with the following info I need.

please post the results of the following commands & PM them to me as well so that I will see them for sure the quickest I can.

Command that will list PCI devices present in the system.
    lspci

Command to list wireless adapters in the system.
    iwconfig

Command to see what access points are in range
    iwlist ap

Your problem could just a configuration one so could you include both what network manager you are using to put your settings in place and what encryption type if any you are trying to connect with?

Please answer those and I will try to help you fix it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Barlas I guess I should have been more clear in my directions since all the things you list are not needed for the system to function the packages I didn't want you to remove are listed below as are the ones ok to remove as long as like I say in the beginning of the guide you are prepared to manage your own graphics driver if it is currently being managed by jockey. I wasn't clear about the linux-generic as I meant linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic as that is basically your kernel and without it your box will not work. I will change that so no one else gets mixed up.

And when you put linux-restricted-modules-commong -- did you mean for the g to be on the end of that as I don't have that available and google didn't give one hit for it so I an assuming you meant linux-restricted-modules-common

THESE ARE OK FOR SENDING BYE BYE - I HAVE NONE OF THESE INSTALLED IN UBUNTU HARDY AND I AM TYPING THIS SO I AM PRETTY SURE
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24.16-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-common
    linux-restricted-modules-generic
    linux-generic

----------------------------------------------

THESE ARE NOT OK TO REMOVE - DO NOT REMOVE THESE - I HAVE ALL OF THESE
    linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-16-generic
    linux-headers-2.6.24-16
    linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please PM me anyone who has problems so I for sure see your needing help and can respond as quickly as possible to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the help, I got it working fine with networkmanager, didn't get need to install wicd.

And yes, that 'g' was a typo, it was linux-restricted-modules-common.

Beans

Nicedude, what I meant is: I don't have any kind of internet access so there was no way I could do the package updating required for compilation of the madwifi patch. I had to go to one of those internet public places and manually download the files for those packages to my USB pendrive. It seems to have worked, as wifi now shows up (still need to test it by hooking to a public hotspot, as I said I have no internet access of my own). For reference, the file names of the packages I downloaded and installed manually in that way: linux-kernel-headers_2.6.11.2-0ubuntu18_i386.deb, linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-16.30_i386.deb, libc6-dev_2.7-10ubuntu3_i386, libgc-dev_6.8-1.1_i386. Thanks for your help...

Beans

You need to look up the make and build essential packages and see what all their dependencies etc may be and then see if you have them or not, if not you would have to download them. Might I suggest that if needed you can get debs ( kinda like a windows installer just click and install ) from the following resources that will work for your Ubuntu

Ubuntu deb packages
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Debian packages
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Another source
    http://www.getdeb.net/

Also if you have a Hardy install cd you might try the following as it will add the install cd itself to your list of sources for installation so that anything contained there can be installed by your system directly form the cd. This is not done by default but I also have no idea if make or build essential packages are located on the disk. here are the commands to add it anyway as without internet I am sure you will find it helpful in future as should you the deb locations above.

First one will add it to sources second will make it be in effect
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo aptitude update

Then try the following to see if the packages you need are there
    sudo apt-get install make build-essential

If that works then all you should need is the madwifi driver package I outline in my guide and any video drivers that may be required if you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card as outlined in step 1.

Also if you think your connected to a network with your wifi try the command below and see if you can ping google or not as that is a good indication if you are actually connected or not.

ping -c 3 www.google.com

And if you have any further troubles please post your results here of the following commands so I can see better what is going on with your card. Anyone else reading this guide and needing help please run and post these as well so I can help you the best I can.

lspci

iwconfig

iwlist ap

So just run those three and post the results as they would help me ascertain what your current situation is.

Hope this info helps both you and anyone else that has this type of situation.

nicedude

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well then nicedude i've clicked that star of yours, as i am writing this in firefox on my nicely working and connected up hardy 8.04, success! thanks for the help - that guide is spot on , turns out it was wcid. - anyone else with a samsung R60 running ATI radeon chipset - this guide works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by beN..87 View Post

any ideas?
    works for samsung r60 laptop with wcid network manager

Beans

I followed all the steps, and it works... but... it doesn't find any network, and I'm next to the router, completely open without encryption.

lspci says

Code:
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    and iwlist ap says

Code:
    lo        Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points

eth0      Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points

wifi0     Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points

ath0      No Peers/Access-Point in range
    iwlist scan says

Code:
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wifi0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

ath0      No scan results

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast