Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pidgin - Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred

Beans

Pidgin - Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred

Whilst using the MSN protocol in Pidgin I occasionally get the message "Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred"
    when trying to talk to people on my contact list.
    I did a bit of research into it and tried a few suggestions but can't seem to get rid of the problem.
    I am trying to assess whether its Pidgin or MSN that is the problem.
    Has anyone else seen this problem and know how to stop it?
    Do people using other IM clients get the same problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Pidgin - Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred

I suggest to use emesene for MSN. Its in the repos and is a fully supported msn client.

A lot better than Pidgins support for msn.

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Pidgin - Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred

Thanks for that. I don't use MSN myself but my sister's always using my computer and this is the one thing she complains about, other than that she loves Ubuntu! Hopefully emesene will fix this for her too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It should as its very similar to Windows Live messenger

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

Switched to Emesene
    Much much better than Pidgin and doesn't suffer the bug.
    cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The problem is basically your internet connection that isn't allowing you to send your messages through Pidgin.
    Joseph Schenck
    The Linux Experience
    Just a small blog about Linux, later to become a true website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJS View Post
    The problem is basically your internet connection that isn't allowing you to send your messages through Pidgin.
    Can you explain that more? Why would my isp block pidgin from sending messages? How is it different to emesene? Surely they're both using the same protocol, although emesene must be implementing it more accurately as it doesn't suffer this problem.

Beans

Hi guys. I'm bumping this in case someone out there is having the same issue with the "Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred."

After reading this thread as well as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=530515&page=3 the problem was fixed - for now -by going to

Accounts-> Edit account -> Advanced -> Use HTTP method had to be checked (not unchecked).

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

what? it has to be checked? but the thread you linked specifically said that it should be unchecked...
    and i'm just randomly starting to have this problem today

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Emesene works like a charm. Definitely recommended.
    Make me a sandwich!
    No, make it yourself.
    Sudo make me a sandwich!
    Ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast