Thread: [SOLVED] Epson AcuLaser CX11NF on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb [SOLVED] Epson AcuLaser CX11NF on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Hi, I'm posting this because I couldn't reply to another thread detailing this printer.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156631

This is to install this printer when it's setup as a network printer. This does not detail adding this printer locally - though I suspect it's similar, you'll still need to install the driver.

To summarize:

1. Download Epson-ALCX11-filter-1.1.tar.gz by selecting 'Other' and 'Other' for the distribution and version drop down boxes. It's at the bottom of the section title 'Download for AcuLaser CX11 for CUPS'.
    2. Once downloaded, do the following to compile and install the driver (commands in square brackets are optional, if you're not sure if something is installed, perform the command):
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install libcupsys2-dev build-essential
      tar -zxvf Epson-ALCX11-filter-1.1.tar.gz
      cd Epson-ALCX11-filter-1.1/
      ./configure
      sudo make install
      [ sudo apt-get install bc ] # this should already be installed on Heron
      sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    3. Now go to System -> Administration -> Printing
    4. Go to Edit -> New Printer (your Epson CX11NF should be in the list on the left)
    5. Click Forward and follow the install Wizard prompts, you should see the driver you just installed listed. Select that and print a test page - voila!
    6. If you see the job enter the queue briefly and then disappear, with no output from your Epson, try this command to help offer pointers to missing dependencies:
      Code:
      /usr/local/bin/pstoalcx11.sh PageSize=lt XY600=5100×6600 MediaType=normal TonerSave=false InputSlot=cassette1 Collate=on Copies=1 Color=color Resolution=600dpi XY600=5100×6600

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Greg K; August 19th, 2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Marked as solved

Re: [SOLVED] Epson AcuLaser CX11NF on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Hello.

Using your instructions I have my CX11nf printer working perfectly on several Hardy x86 systems. However, I can't get it working on a Hardy AMD64 system. Do you know of any variations required for this version?

Thanks, Leo.

Beans

I am using karmic, but the problem seems to be that a 32 bit libstdc++5 is required. Maybe this will solve the problem for amd64 too.

I followed the instructions herewhich solved my problems with the epson cx11nf.

Actually I purged the 64 bit libstdc++5, then I did as told to install the 32 bit version, moved it to the right place and then reinstalled the 64 bit version.

The first hint that something was wrong with the libstdc++5 even though it was installed came when I tried to create a printer on the commandline:
    /usr/local/bin/pstoalcx11.sh PageSize=lt XY600=5100×6600 MediaType=normal TonerSave=false InputSlot=cassette1 Collate=on Copies=1 Color=color Resolution=600dpi XY600=5100×6600
    After installing the 32 bit version the errors were gone, but I deleted the printer thus created and used the cups web interface onto create a new fresh printer and now its working for me and I hope this will help others solve their problems with the cx11 faster.
    Last edited by ab0032; March 29th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem, but went through the steps outlined above and had no luck. Thoughts?