Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

Hmm... Seems to work, but I too think that you should be able to run Compiz without this kind of hickups! But if it has something to do with Compiz, I wonder if it is the same bug that is the cause of the window animations not working?! They worked perfectly well in Hardy, but now... Nada... No matter what I do to get them up and going, nothing happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [SOLVED] Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

The problem is with compiz-fusion, but how exactly is it "SOLVED"?? Identifying the problem is not the same as fixing it. I have found a better work around then disabling compiz. Turn effects off in the appearance setting but having fusion-icon added to the list of programs that Gnome runs at startup. Is there a bug report for this issue?

Beans

Re: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

I have opened a bug report on launchpad regarding this issue since I believe the problem has not been solved, merely identified!

Bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/292376

So lets see what they say...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

Can you all confirm this:

You have an extremely small xorg.conf file, and CPU usage for xorg is relatively high (3-7%)

Other charecteristics extremely small xorf.conf, high CPU (relatively) for xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans

It does seem like xorg is using quite a bit of CPU power, but there is nothing wrong with my Xorg.conf... Looks like update manager have commented out some configurations, but these have to do with my touchpad and keyboard, not screen, it says "Commented out by update manager, using HAL instead"... So I guess they transferred mousepad and keyboard support to the Hardware Abstraction Layer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by aramadia View Post
    I have the same messages too:

Oct 30 23:48:33 m1530 pulseaudio[15958]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
    Oct 30 23:48:33 m1530 pulseaudio[15958]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    Oct 30 23:48:33 m1530 pulseaudio[15958]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    Oct 30 23:48:44 m1530 gnome-session[15895]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-wm.desktop' failed to register before timeout
    Oct 30 23:48:44 m1530 pulseaudio[15958]: module-x11-xsmp.c: X11 session manager not running.
    Oct 30 23:48:44 m1530 pulseaudio[15958]: module.c: Failed to load module "module-x11-xsmp" (argument: ""): initialization failed.

Clearly intrepid wasn't ready for release. The problem is still recurring.

I also get
    Code:
    x-session-manager[5854]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-wm.desktop' failed to register before timeout
    And I also get
    Code:
    x-session-manager[5854]: WARNING: Application 'libcanberra-login-sound.desktop' failed to register before timeout
    Starting g15daemon:
    in .xsession-errors.

I smell a fish.
    Life sux, then you die.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also have this in my log

WARNING: Application 'gnome-wm.desktop' failed to register before timeout

And turning off compiz also speeds up the login for me (tremendously). I am wondering if everyone who has this issue did a dist-upgrade from hardy. Perhaps the problem is with some misconfiguration of Gnome?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

I dont think its the problem with Compiz either. Neither is gnome-wm my prime suspect. I think this is an issue with X itself.

Can you confirm there is an entry in syslog when you start up, and right before login screen comes up, the screen flickers twice?
    Code:
    WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans

I have the same slowness. I however did a *clean install* of 8.10. Compiz never used to load this slowly in the last 3 ubuntu releases...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I found a bug report implicating the slow login time with bad pulseaudio implementation (or something of the sort). There seems be to a patch that solves the issue, but I don't want to compile stuff and ****.

If anyone wants to try, please report back: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/276072/
    Last edited by macabro22; November 6th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Life sux, then you die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast