Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

Sarath. I do not have that message in my syslog...

Beans

I just upgraded to 8.10, and after finally being able to get my ethernet card registering quickly, I hoped login would be sped up... nope. I'm running a great ATI card, Wolfdale E8400 core 2 duo... etc... etc... it gets stuck on the visual effects load.

I can't even get my webcam to work anymore. I'm just gonna deal with the slow login times until an update comes along. Really, I almost never need to logout on my personal desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Still very slow for me to login (started a new thread before I saw this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1101385)

Beans

Red face Re: Slow Intrepid 8.10 Login

I have the same "Application 'gnome-wm.desktop' failed to register before timeout" error. Except my gnome desktop will not work at all, it is just a blank screen. It has been this way since the latest update. It was fine before that, but now that it does this I have been using a command line ever since. I can still type firefox --display :0 then hit cntrl-alt-f7 and it will be running fine, but I have no desktop, no "start menu" or any of those things. The upside is I have been learning much about Linux, the downside is no GUI. Not sure what happened or how to fix it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123