Thread: Headphone Jack

Beans

Headphone Jack

So I've been googling trying to figure this out, and I may as well ask someone who may somewhat know what they are doing. If there is an applicable forum, please let me know (I tried searching, but I'm still confused)

I "installed" ubuntu using wubi
    Everything (didn't test printer or ipod) so far works well except for my headphone jack
    Sound is coming from my computer, but it ignores my headphone jack.
    I plug it in, no sound comes from it my headphones and my speakers are unaffected (it keeps playing)
    I d/l updated alsa drivers (not sure if I installed it correctly)
    I also tried to modify the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base as per other forums, but I'm not allowed to make any changes (but I'm the only user on this computer)???? How did that happen?

Any advice? I'd love to be able to completely stop using windows (my battery actually lasts twice as long than vista, w/ compfiz at full prettiness)

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4666, working on Hardy Heron. If there's any more info you need to assist me (VERY GRATEFUL for any advice) please let me know.

Um, yea, total newbie, no knowledge of command line or how to even install programs outside the apt-get stuff. So step-by-step instructions are appreciated. Thanks!

(unrelated, I get no sound from youtube, but veoh and other sound works ok...is this a youtube thing, or a flash thing)
    Last edited by goodywitch; April 26th, 2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: see parenthesis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Headphone Jack

Hi, I have a Toshiba A135-S4666 laptop as well and I had the same problem with the headphone jack not working in Hardy. I did a little digging and it was a pretty easy fix:

First make a backup of your alsa-base file in case something goes wrong you can always revert back to the original.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.backup
    Next edit your alsa-base file:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    then scroll to the bottom and add the following line..

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo
    Save the file and then reboot. My headphones worked fine after adding that line.

Now for your flash problem, there is a bug in flash known to cause problems when other devices are using your sound card. Installing the following utility fixed it for me:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libflashsupport
    After installing, you will need to restart Firefox before trying the flash sound fix.

Regards,
    Metol

Beans

I was wondering how to edit the file. It worked perfectly. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please mark this thread as solved!! Thanks!!
    Registered Ubuntu user #25321

Beans

brain spaz...how?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metol View Post
    Hi, I have a Toshiba A135-S4666 laptop as well and I had the same problem with the headphone jack not working in Hardy. I did a little digging and it was a pretty easy fix:

First make a backup of your alsa-base file in case something goes wrong you can always revert back to the original.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.backup
    Next edit your alsa-base file:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    then scroll to the bottom and add the following line..

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo
    Save the file and then reboot. My headphones worked fine after adding that line.

Now for your flash problem, there is a bug in flash known to cause problems when other devices are using your sound card. Installing the following utility fixed it for me:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libflashsupport
    After installing, you will need to restart Firefox before trying the flash sound fix.

Regards,
    Metol
    I tried your method,but it's doesn't work to my lenovo laptop.do you have any other advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sunpupa View Post
    I tried your method,but it's doesn't work to my lenovo laptop.do you have any other advice?
    Hello sunpupa,

The fix above will only work for specific sound cards. If you are using a Lenovo laptop, then the "options snd-hda-intel model=??????" line will likely be different. What model Lenovo are you using? After a quick search, the Lenovo N200 suggests to use "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file.

Metol